Sunday, April 02, 2006

Does Moussaoui Deserve the Death Penalty?

The jury in the Zacarious Moussaoui trial will resume deliberations on Monday to decide whether he deserves the death penalty or life in prison. Elizabeth Hayden weighs in with her opinion in the Boston Globe, which might surprise you considering that she lost her husband when United flight 175 slammed into the south tower of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

[Hat tip to Abi at Update America/604]

If anyone is entitled to revenge, it is Elizabeth Hayden. But here is her view of a Moussaoui death sentence:
Does Zacarious Moussaoui deserve the death penalty? Absolutely...Should Moussaoui receive the death penalty? Absolutely not. [...]

It is a human response to be enraged against those who plotted to take the lives of so many innocent victims. To strike back is an instinctual human reaction toward such an outrageous violation against mankind. Yet to impose the death penalty diminishes our own humanity. Do we want to characterize ourselves as a nation committed to pure vengeance with nothing more to be gained? For we surely cannot think that imposing the death penalty will act as a deterrent against other terrorists. Cloaked in the rationalization of carrying forth the will of God, the terrorists let their fear and hatred consume their last ounce of humanity. Let us not follow in their footsteps.

Let us instead distance ourselves from the evil wrapped in their warped behavior. Let us maintain a strand of humanity that will bond us to the value of life. Let us define ourselves as principled people not acting out of fear and hatred, but a people who under the most challenging of circumstances can transcend evil and prevail with reason and justice. Let us strive to have love for one another.
What an amazing person! Elizabeth Hayden endures a personal tragedy of immense proportions, yet she can find it within herself to extend an act of grace and seek a better direction for our country. We should all be moved to act upon her words: "Let us define ourselves as principled people..."

11 comments:

Lew Scannon said...

No. I don't think he does, because technically, he didn't commit a crime. His claims about being a aprt of the plot were discredited by his own defense witnesses. And why was he wearing a stun belt under his clothes while on the stand?

Rory Shock said...

the death penalty should be abolished ... all of my thoughts on the death penalty are pretty much contained in the story "any last words" on my web site ... if you are interested
www.roryshock.com
it's in the rory's stories section ...
that being said, she is a good person of principle ... I have met a fair number of survivors of murdered persons who are against the death penalty ... I have a family member who fits this description ... I respect such people for their integrity ... there are some very prominent members of various state coalitions against the death penatly who lost loved ones to murder ... the death penalty is dead wrong ... regardless of whether an individual "deserves" it or not ... thanks for posting this

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

O! Put death away! Put death away!
Lower the bloodied dagger to its crypt!
Leave it snuggled with darkness
To our dreams in cackled night
Put death away! Put death away!
Shuttle him through the crease of humanity
Put him down to rest in natural green plain
Bring him not out to spectacle, child’s eyes
Leave him slouched within our bladed shadows
Hunkered down in the dark house of mighty Ares’
With shrieking vulture’s span; its howling wind
And the mongrel’s yowl beseeching the moon
O! Put death away! Put death away!
The corpse shall find its way soon enough
The precursor of bomb’s the mighty sword
Slip it bravely within its lengthy scabbard
And give death chance to come forth alone
Let its scraggly legs wobble and meander
Find its victim in the natural motion of day
Do not hasten its swooping blade from empire
O! Put him away. Rest your demise for a while
Empire will soon fade `way and lose its seed
No need for death to plant our brazen youth
Nor puncture hope with its reddening silver
O! The living!
Put death away! Put death away!

His Honor the Mayor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
His Honor the Mayor said...

I am opposed to the death penalty on principle, however, I wouldn't exactly raise a stink if someone were to be executed for pulling off a terrorist attack the likes of 9/11.
Here's the thing, however: From what I have read, I'm having a hard time believing that he was really involved in the planning of 9/11. I doubt the prosecutors even believe his story about being part of the crew which would have flown a plane into the White House. I think that he is trying his damndest to become a martyr, and I'm not sure that its in our best interest to help him succeed. If he is executed, he'll have a street named after him in Tehran. Let him rot in jail for the next 60 years, forgotten by history for what he really is; a Al Quida wannabe who wasn't even wanted by Bin Laden.

Unknown said...

I'm kind of with the Mayor. I'm not completely opposed to the death penalty, and for this case I'd be hard pressed to generate a lot of energy to oppose it for this defendant.

And, with the decision today, I find myself comfortable with it. If a jury decides to put Moussaoui to death, I can live with it. If the jury decides that life in prison is the appropriate sentence, I can live with that too.

Anonymous said...

What purpose would it serve to execute Moussaoui?

Kathy said...

Lew, I didn't know about the stun belt under his clothes, but I'm not surprised. Didn't the government do the same thing to that Washington sniper guy? (I can't remember his name...I'm suffering from CRS today.)

Rory, I checked out your "any last words" story. It was hard to read that knowing the words were being spoken as the man faced imminent death. I can't blame him for being filled with anger.

Poetryman, very interesting poem. Did you write it? It reminds me a little bit of "Thanatopsis." Check that out sometime if you haven't already.

Mayor and Midwestern, many people who normally are against the death people feel like you in this case. Why should we judge this case any differently?

I have to agree with Abi: What purpose would it serve to execute Moussaoui?

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Abi: What purpose would it serve to execute Moussaoui?

Well, I *could* play the closure card, but I see you've already disabused me of that notion.

This is an entirely individualistic perspective - it does not say anything about anyone except me:

I simply don't care what happens to Moussaoui. If the state (aka "us") puts him to death, I'm fine with that. I believe that some acts deserve that. If, however, the state (again, "us") decides that life in prison is an appropriate penalty, I'm fine with that too.

Want me to generate some seriously heavy opinions on Moussaoui's penance? Let the judge/jury decide that an appropriate sentence is, say, 240 hours of community service, or some equally non-penalizing sentence. Then you'd see me in high dudgeon. Short of that, frankly, I'll sit this debate out.

Sorry.

Unknown said...

And please believe me, I mean no disrespect to those who vehemently oppose the death penalty. No disrespect is intended, I assure you.

I just don't have strong opinions about the matter - at least none that are web-worth.

Kathy said...

Midwestern, I know you didn't mean any disrespect. I also should have mentioned that I don't disrespect the jurors who came to this decision. They have been put in a terrible position and none of us should second guess their motives, but I take umbrage with the government. They could ask for life in prison and set a different tone. Killing someone who killed someone only perpetuates the cycle of killing.