Friday, January 20, 2006

Unexpected Results

This will probably be my last post till Monday. I'm attending a church retreat with my daughter this weekend and will be leaving for it this afternoon. Until then, I wanted to update you on something unusual and rather funny. Earlier in the week, I blogged about the Domino Pizza/Devos Alliance that resulted in a spirited debate between Bostonian Exile and I. In the end, I promised Exile I would be posting more about Granholm and our state in the near future.

In the meantime, I was surprised to find out that my post had been linked to a multi-level marketing blog, Quixtar BLOG, which is published by the husband of a former Quixtar IBO. For those who don't recognize the name, Quixtar is a multi-level marketing company founded in 1999 by the owners of Amway (DeVos). There is a very heated discussion going on there about the qualifications of DeVos and Granholm, but I pulled out a few to share with you.
"Great. Two extreme Christian fundamentalist that believe women should not have control of their own health decisions, homosexuals can be 'treated', public schools should be abolished for 'Christian education', and there should be a place at our table of gov't for religion -- as a mater of fact, the only seats should be those of the extreme fundamentalist beliefs. Hopefully this choice shows the colors of DeVos to the eastern side of the state -- those who are all very aware of the extreme beliefs of the Domino's founder and his executives. His choice was his conduit to tap into the 'Detroit' money, as the DeVos connections are all western Michigan money, but hopefully this connection will also shed enough light on how extreme Dick & Betsy DeVos are."

"I hope someone else wins the nomination.
Granholm v. DeVos is a battle where the ENTIRE state of MI will lose. THERE IS NO WINNER!"

"Tax cuts for the uber rich, and wipe away social programs for the most needy in our society. Oh that's right, just like the DeVos family philosophy, we are all born on equal footing and need no 'leveling', the American dream is alive and can be obtained by all. Pick yourselves up by the bootstraps and make something of yourself ! Unfortunately, I am reminded of the words of the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who's legacy I celebrated only yesterday, when he said something about it being extremely difficult to pull yourself up by the bootstraps when you don't even have boots."

"While I am not impressed with Granholm, she is by far the lesser of two evils against DeVos or ANY person who has expressed interest in the Republican nomination. She was left with a huge mess from Gov. Engler, and has had to deal with the worst legislative bodies I have ever witnessed in Michigan. We are suffering greatly in Michigan, but I don't see Gov. Granholm being to blame for ANY of it. On the other hand, she is not the leader to pull us out of the mess either."

This is going to be an interesting election year as these comments seem to reflect. Michigan appears to be as polarized as the rest of the country. Sigh...

Have a nice weekend everyone.

No comments: