Sunday, January 08, 2006

Keeping Promises to Myself

January always inspires me to do two things: Redd up (tidy up for those not familiar with Pittsburgh slang) the loose ends I put off from last year and promise myself not to get behind this year. I can honestly say I'm right on track so far. If the other 51 weeks run as smoothly, I'll be in great shape come December 2006!

In keeping with my promise to stay current, I spent yesterday cooking
Onion Soup Gratinee
as passed along by Midwestern Progressive. My hubby and I just started diets so I used low-fat chicken stock and deglazed the onions with some leftover Chablis I had on hand. It was delicious, and a meal all by itself. Midwestern suggested serving quiche along with the gratinee, but here in metro Detroit we're trying to trim our waistlines. We're succeeding too. We're no longer the nation's fattest city - that distinction now belongs to Chicago. Sorry, Midwestern.

I also promised to share a picture of my Pee Gee Hydrangea tree with Acoustic Dad in Australia. He's been posting some great pictures of plants, flowers and creepy snakes and spiders indigenous to his area of the world, and his most recent post included a beautiful blue hydrangea. That picture warmed my Michigan soul. We had an ice storm yesterday and frigid temperatures; meanwhile, Acoustic said the temps down under are hovering around 100 degrees. My picture is from last August, but serves as a reminder that this winter weather too shall pass!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We're no longer the nation's fattest city - that distinction now belongs to Chicago.

Regrettably, I did my part last year to help Chicago to the top. Or, at least, the greater Chicago metropolitan area. I'm working on that too.

Glad you liked the recipe! I might post a new one in the next day or so - we're having another "Iron Chef" competition tomorrow at work, and I'm doing something interesting with pistachios today. If I win, I'll post the recipe.....

I realize I still owe you a reply - I'm way behind, but I'm working on it. Stats (at least meaningful ones) are proving somewhat difficult to find. I do have some anecdotal evidence of the local economy, especially vis-a-vis some decisions made by the Bush administration, and those will be part of my reply too. Not to mention the net impact of some local corruption, which exceeds that of Washington, even if one includes the various Abranhoff scandals.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous plant - and such a beautiful yard too! We've gone the au natural route for the most part - aka "done nothing and let the weeds overrun the yard." Perhaps it's time to get to work eh?

Thanks for the pic! :D

Kathy said...

Midwestern, I owe you that recipe for my spaghetti sauce too. I didn't forget, but I need to make a batch and pay attention to measurements. I've made that sauce for almost 40 years and don't measure - I just throw in a pinch of this and a pinch of that!

Mike, my husband soothes his soul by working in the yard when the weather is nice so I try not to say too much, but the au natural route is much better environmentally and economically. If our water bills get much higher though, my husband may have to let the lawn burn and the flowers wither.