Friday, May 26, 2006

A Way to Protest Government Snoops

Protesting comes in many forms; marching, picketing, striking, sit-ins, etc. Protests can be nonviolent in the manner of Ghandi or Martin Luther King, Jr., and some protests have escalated into rioting, as in the case of the New York Draft Riots.

In the last couple of weeks, John McCain and Condoleezza Rice experienced protest when they were heckled while delivering commencement speeches, and one man, Steve Almond, wrote a letter and quit his job at Boston College in protest of Rice's appearance. Our desire to be heard in order to influence policy is what motivates us.

That leads me to tell you about a new form of protest I heard about from Rory Shock. He calls it the "Million Moon mASS Action," which is a passive, nonviolent way of expressing our displeasure with the NSA, CIA and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. The NGA provides military intelligence and watches Americans from space. They deny spying on individuals, but I have to go along with Rory's opinion on that one: "don't frickin' believe them."

Anyway, to protest global surveillance, Rory came up with this protest:
mooning has a long and fine tradition as a way of showing defiance, disrespect, and a sense of humor in the face, literally sometimes, of frickin' adversity, absurdity, and assininnity. So let us light up the earth with mirth and buttocks. the next full moon is June 11, @ 1803 Universal Time, according to the u.s. naval gaze-uh-tory. rory calls on naked apes everywhere to moon the sky on june 11. concerted local action is encouraged.
"Light up the earth with mirth and buttocks." What a wonderful form of protest. The voyeurs in the sky should love it.

You can count me in Rory. In fact, since this is a holiday weekend, I think I'll pop my new Dixie Chicks and Neil Young CDs into my old boombox and listen to some protest music while I work on my tan! (Gotta look good for the government snoops.)

Now, if only I could get DirecTV to capture the moment and beam it back to me, life would be perfect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bottoms up!
;-)

Jeremy said...

Leave it to Rory to come up with this idea...as if I know the guy :-)

Anyway, I think the video of McCain’s speech, and of the brave woman who proceeded him, will make me feel satiated for the next couple of months. I thought the students handled his speech beautifully.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Priceless. I'm in for sure.

Rory Shock said...

oh yeah ,... the countdown continues ... thanks for passin' the word and the kind words all ... thanks for keepin' the positive energy flowin'

Unknown said...

Heh. A good idea, and hilarious, too. But....I think for the general betterment of society everywhere on Earth, it is best if I (pardon the pun) sit this one out.

Kathy said...

Hi Jeremy, I was impressed with the way the students handled McCain's speech too. The fact that they protested in such a dignified manner added credibility to their message. They set a good example for the world.

Midwestern, don't be shy! Most people recognize your face, but how many people know you simply by looking at your bottom? Hmmm?