Friday, May 05, 2006

Cheap Medical Advice

I've finally found a diagnosis for what's been ailing me lately. I've suffering from outrage fatigue.
...Outrage fatigue has yet to be recognized, or even noted, by the American Psychological Association. That could change as it begins to turn up in therapists’ caseloads. Jon Carroll reports in the San Francisco Chronicle, “A therapist I know says that more and more people are showing up at her door with a nonspecific anxiety disorder, which turns out to be shame and confusion about the state of the nation.” [Emphasis mine.]
So, what's the cure? Therapists say if we don't express ourselves then our outrage turns in on ourselves.
That can have bad effects according to Ease@Work, a company that advises businesses on how to treat employees. “Repressed anger is unexpressed anger. Some people can internalize anger so that they fool others, and sometimes themselves, into believing they are not angry. The problem with repressed anger is that it is turned back inside the person, leading to health problems such as hypertension, stroke, and heart disease. …”
I'm not about to let Bush and friends ruin my health (mental or physical), so I guess I'll take the advice of therapists: Nurture it. Express it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

3 comments:

enigma4ever said...

lets brake some fucking dishes and stomp out feet and yell at the wind....if we don't we will implode...it is that simple...

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to try anything.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Kathy said...

Kvath, you're right, but apparently I'm fatigued from expressing so much outrage!