Monday, November 14, 2005

McGovern for President 1972

In 1972, I was so disillusioned and disgusted with the Vietnam War that I decided to do something to make a difference. I volunteered for the George McGovern for President campaign. It was fun. I spent afternoons stuffing envelopes, making calls and visiting nursing homes to explain why McGovern would be a better president than Nixon. (I TOLD them Nixon was dishonest and wasn't worthy of their votes!) I even had the thrill of picking up a sound man at the airport and driving him to a campaign stop in Detroit ahead of the candidate's arrival. The police blocked the entire route along the freeway and advised me to put the pedal to the metal (the plane landed late and time was of the essence). I remember feeling pretty cool as I sped along about 15 mph over the legal limit!

McGovern lost of course - by a huge margin - but I've always respected the man for his pacificist beliefs. It seems I'm not the only one to appreciate McGovern, the Madison Capital Times ran an editorial welcoming him back to their city to deliver a lecture, a city that had the wisdom to want him as its president in 1972.

It has been a long time since we were privileged to endorse his candidacy for the presidency. But we are not inclined to withdraw it quite yet.

Indeed, were it left to this newspaper, we would gladly replace George Bush, a man who avoided serving his country in a time of war but has few qualms about sending others to die for it, with George McGovern, a man who proudly served when his country called but who has always recognized that the call must be made only when it is absolutely necessary.

So we issue our endorsement once more: McGovern for president.


I second that endorsement. If you decide to give it another try Mr. McGovern, tell your campaign staff to give me a call - I can still lick envelopes with the best of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. I worked for McGovern too, for the same reasons, but my stint wasn't so glamorous. I didn't get to speed on the highway for sure.

It's true, even at his age now, he would make a better president than the one we have.

Love the blog btw, you're doing some killer posting Kathy.

Kathy said...

I thought you were much younger than me, Libby. You take a good picture. I had just graduated from college in 1972 with my teaching degree and couldn't find a job, so I figured I would use the time to help McGovern.

Nixon exacted his revenge though. I went back to school and earned my Master's in remedial reading, landed a teaching job, and then Nixon pulled all Title I funding and I found myself unemployed again!

Anonymous said...

That's the only good picture of me in existence and it only makes me look at all good because it's so fuzzy. It's also about five years old. I've gone completely gray since then.

Meanwhile, in the end we did beat Nixon. Here's hoping we can do it again with Bush.