Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Summertime or Election Time Blues?

Thank you Andrew Heller (Flint Journal columnist) for diagnosing what ails me. It turns out I'm suffering from "Election Fatigue Syndrome."
"Election Fatigue Syndrome?"

"It's going around. We start to see a few cases as much as two years before a presidential election but by the time the election rolls around it's nearly epidemic. The symptoms include, as you described, general fatigue and stress, which is brought on by too much election coverage and analysis."

"But the upchucking?"

"Well, you also have a touch of both John McCain pneumonia and the Barack Obama flu. The symptoms are nausea and the inability to stomach any more malarkey, juvenile name-calling or empty promises."

"Is it bad, doc?"

"Oh, it's bad, all right. But it's not fatal to humans, although it has been known to be fatal to TV sets. We're seeing a lot of shoes and remote controls embedded in TV screens right now."

"So what do I do?"

"There's not much you can do, I'm afraid. Short of an official election season, there's no known cure for Election Fatigue Syndrome. The best I can tell you is to turn off your TV set until Nov. 5."
Cold turkey? Now? No way, doc, but I promise to avoid Fox News and ABC between now and the election, and limit my time watching television, especially those commercials aimed at people who vote based on sound bites.

If you're also suffering from Election Fatigue Syndrome, take a break and read a few of my posts over at Blogging for Michigan. I can't promise they won't make you sick, but they just might enlighten you!

Here's a few to get you started:

Can GM be saved?

Republicans and facts don't mix

McCain's jealousy isn't attractive in a senator, let alone a president

The American Dream is trickling away

McCain is a dandy dress in his $520 shoes

McCain's message to NAACP was a fakeout

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you stopped by to read my blog. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Stephen. I'm very grateful.

Anonymous said...

I hear Dr. Ivins was working on a cure for EFS. Looks like it worked for him.

Sorry - that was sick, huh...

Kathy said...

Abi, sick, maybe, but very funny!