Thursday, December 08, 2005

Que?

I've heard of students getting kicked out of school for many reasons, but this one makes absolutely no sense.
Zach Rubio, a student at Turner School District's Endeavor School in Kansas City, Kansas, was recently suspended for two days because he spoke Spanish during recess, which, among other things, is not against school policy. Despite Zach's not breaking any rules, however, the principal, Jennifer Watts, explained: "We are not in Mexico, we are not in Germany."

Where are we, Ms. Watts? Oh...I almost forgot, we're in Kansas, where the schools are dedicated to teaching nonsense, and the line separating church and state gets thinner every day.

When the superintendent got wind of this he quickly reinstated the student; meanwhile, Zach's father is still waiting for an official apology.

Note to my son, Gary (who is an assistant principal in Pennsylvania): I have total confidence in your professionalism and that of your school district!

5 comments:

Kevin McKague said...

Eso está loco. Yo me pregunto lo que ellos hacen cuando él obtiene para educar alto y para estudiar su lección española de la clase entre clases. Las respuestas etnocéntricas tales como éstos que tratan de imponer la pureza del idioma sobre personas no trabaja. Pregunte al francés, que luchan la inclusión de tales palabras como el "internet" en conversaciones.
Incidente, yo no sé realmente cómo hablar español. Quiero visitar el sitio FreeTranslation.com para diversión. Qué puede digo, soy un tipo.

Unknown said...

Oops, now we need to kick KEVIN out for two days!

We're not in Mexico, Germany, OR Kansas Kevin, and we'll have none of that "Eso está loco"> here mister.

(From where did the reference to Germany come??? Does the "teacher" think that Spanish is spoken in Germany, as, say, opposed to Spain?)

Good Lord, the schools in Kansas....

Kathy said...

Kevin, no hablo espanol. You councilmen are just too smart...I think. The translation said something along the lines of "this is crazy" and "I don't really know how to speak Spanish," but the rest was lost on me. It might have something to do with the fact that I haven't studied Spanish in nearly 40 years!

Midwestern, I think we'll have to let Kevin stick around. We're better than Kansas.

Anonymous said...

Since I am the Pennsylvania Principal I have to say that situations like this disturb me. Here I am on a day-to-day basis worrying about the little things like providing a quality education for every child while ensuring that all students are treated equally in all matters (including discipline, extra-curricular activities and class selection) while also trying to manage a building full of teachers whose personalities range from inspirer to instigator all while organizing and scheduling after-school events and trying to keep parents, kids, teachers, a school board and a superintendent happy. I guess what I really should be doing is knit-picking over asinine things like punishing those who fail to use our “native” language. Just a note to that principal in Kansas: when I have a slow day, I get a drink, walk the halls and try to pop into some classrooms to stay in touch with the kids in order to preserve a “human“ image, but I guess being a monster is just as time-consuming. The only bright spot about this article is that if I ever do fail to do my job correctly, I can always head on out to Endeavor; apparently they need some competent people to run their schools.

Kathy said...

Gary, you would hate Kansas. They believe the Bible explains the origin of man and not evolution. They removed it from their science curriculum.