Sunday, December 11, 2005

Mission Accomplished

The Buckeye Balls are finished and snuggled away in Christmas tins - all 152 of them! My hubby made the dough Friday evening so it could chill overnight, and Saturday morning we got busy cooking. The first picture shows him rolling the dough between his hands while I manned the camera. I had a little snafu and couldn't get the darned thing out of movie mode, so by the time I found the manual, read it, and changed the settings, my husband had already rolled 140 of those little buckeyes. That might explain the serious look he has on his face!

I redeemed myself by offering to get the chocolate melted for the next step - and cleaning up the kitchen afterwards - so that brought a smile to his face. (Honestly, I don't know how the camera ended up in movie mode. It really was an accident and I wasn't trying to get out of helping him.) The next picture shows my hubby happily dipping balls in chocolate while making a mess at the same time.

Just in case you're skeptical, the third picture proves that I actually helped my hubby dip those little balls in chocolate and didn't leave all the work for him. My feelings are kind of hurt though. He's not totally convinced of my selflessness. He mumbled something about me being a chocolate freak or something to that effect.

Anyway, the last picture shows the buckeyes being put into tins for safekeeping through the holidays. They're kind of cute, aren't they? If you find yourself in our neighborhood in the next couple of weeks, stop in and try a buckeye ball for yourself. They're a Pennsylvania tradition named after a tree indigenous to Ohio (the Buckeye State), but even Michigan fans could learn to love them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, those look good. I'm partial to chocolate, though. How many bags of semi-sweet chips did you have to melt to make 140 Buckeye Balls? Must've run the local grocery store out of chocolate chips!

Kathy said...

We bought a huge bag - I think it was 60 ounces - and used most of it for the candy. I have a cup or so leftover for me to eat!