Thursday, June 15, 2006

What Happened to Our Good Paying Jobs?

"Ain't it the truth," says Christine Barry:
Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA ) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled it with GAS from Saudi Arabia and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (MADE IN MALAYSIA), Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can’t find a good paying job in AMERICA…
Joe should consider running for office. House lawmakers just gave themselves a $3,300 pay raise that will increase their salaries to $168,500.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we ought to outsource Congress. The rubber stamps they use would be much cheaper in China or India.

Anonymous said...

and then wondered why he can’t find a good paying job in AMERICA

Nevertheless, despite his unemployment, he has all this money to burn on wine, designer clothing, a new electric skillet, etc.

I am left to conclude that he is either a trust fund baby or it's time for another round of welfare benefit cuts.

(Sorry, Kathy. I leave the hypothetical alone.)

Anonymous said...

I leave the hypothetical alone.

That should be, "I couldn't leave the hypothetical alone."

Kathy said...

Kvatch, my favorite wine is Delicato. It comes from the Napa Valley and is pretty reasonably priced - at least compared to what my prescription medicines now cost!

Great White Snark, I think Joe's wife is probably the main breadwinner now! Seriously though, I've noticed a trend among the young adults I know. Women are earning more than their husbands by a considerable amount. I don't know if this explains why marriage rates are down and divorce remains high, but I'm sure it doesn't help any. You males have such delicate egos!

Kathy said...

Great White, I should have clarified my comment. I'm not saying a majority of women now make more than their husbands, but I've noticed an increasing number of marriages where that's the case. It was pratically unheard of when I was young, and in those days we called men who let women support them "gigolos."

I'm actually glad women have become self-supporting. I know many women who stayed in abusive relationships simply because they didn't have the financial resources to pack up and leave.

Kathy said...

Great White, one more comment. I should have said I see nothing wrong with men earning less than their wives as long as they work (unless they have a good reason for not working).

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable, yet another pay raise. They have no shame.

Kathy said...

Libby, you're too kind...they have no morals, scuples, ethics, etc.